RUSSIAN online edition “to Fontanka.ru” on Tuesday published data on the losses, who suffered in Syria Russian private military company (PMC), known as “Wagner PMCs” (former “Slavic housing”). According to unnamed sources, “Fontanka”, they can reach 60 human. This information was partially confirmed in an interview with Radio Liberty activist investigative group Conflict Intelligence Team (CIT) Team Ruslan Leviev. Last week CIT published information about the alleged sixth died in Syria Russian military- Sergei Chupova. “Fontanka” claims, Chupov that actually was not the regular soldiers of the Russian army and was a “Wagner PMCs”. In order, it is quite possible, soglasen and Leviev, which the, however, loss estimates “privateers” modest in Syria, a maximum of a few dozen dead.
De jure no “Private Military Companies” Russia does not have and can not be legally. De facto “Wagner PMCs”, Ruslana Levi in Slovenia, - a semi-legal battle formation, existing under the wings and on the money the Ministry of Defense, - even the training ground “vagnerovtsev” It is adjacent tothe base of the 10th separate brigade of Spetsnaz GRU Russian village Molkino Krasnodar Territory. fighters “Wagner PMCs”, According to reporters and investigative, involved not only in the Syrian campaign, but in the annexation of the Crimea and the war in eastern Ukraine.
“Wagner” - call sign 46-year-old lieutenant colonel Dmitri Utkin. According to “Fontanka”, Utkin up 2013 , was the commander stationed in Pechory Pskov region 700 of the separate Special Forces Detachment 2nd Separate Brigade of the Ministry of Defense of the GRU. After transfer to the reserve worked Moran Security Group, private company, specializing in the protection of ships from pirate attacks. how reportsedition, your call he received because of the love for the music of Wagner and “commitment to the aesthetics and ideology of the Third Reich”. Wagner, not sparing soldiers, I sent them to “sword unsheathed” the enemy positions, for which he was not very fond of subordinates. Another thing - who was killed in Syria, Sergei Chupov, “Use your head and do not send people to the meat”.
investigation, dedicated “Wagner PMCs” and his predecessor,, “Slavonic corps”, published before - of them, eg, became known, that the salary of a private military fighters in Russia is from 80 to 120 thousand rubles a month (now called the amount to 240 thousand), and family benefits in the event of the death of a soldier - 3 million. In an interview with Radio Liberty, author of the publication on the website “to Fontanka.ru” Denis Korotkov explains the details of the action “Wagner PMCs” in Syria, and activist Conflict Intelligence Team Ruslan Levi - o Volume, What is the “private military companies” Russian reality.
Ruslan Leviev, activist investigative group Conflict Intelligence Team, engaged in the search for information on open sources on the Internet and its verification “in field” and through its own sources:
- We know of only one Russian private military company - this is the semi-mythical “Private military company Wagner”. We know, that there are other companies in Russia, who call themselves “private military companies”, but this, usually, something like the security agencies. And only “Wagner PMCs” there were strong indications, that its fighters actually exist and are fighting in Syria. In particular, many, probably, remember pictures allegedly killed Russian soldiers near Palmyra, who published militants “an Islamic state” (an organization banned in Russia. - RS) 17 Martha.
These rumors come from our friends and sources in the environment of the soldiers of the Defense Ministry. we have similar assumptions were against Sergei Chupova, which we know, killed in Syria. In particular, some of his friends on the condition of anonymity told us, that in fact, he resigned from the Interior troops in the middle of the zero years and was in private military company, and Syria was in a mercenary. However, we did not have conclusive evidence, that he really fought in the PMC. Now we see by the article on “Fontanka”, that after all these polusluhi-poluteorii about, what “Wagner PMCs” Sergey Chupov there and fought in the private military company, confirmed. It also explains, how the internal troops, and not the Ministry of Defense was in Syria, - precisely because, that he was in the private military company.
- Was there “Wagner PMCs” Before the war in Ukraine and Syria?
- Our sources, which are associated with the special forces of the Ministry of Defense and are familiar with “Wagner PMCs”, they say, that this portion is formed by the so-called “Slavic housing”. This PMC, which existed before “Wagner PMCs”. She hired an offshore companyMoran Secutiry Group, it was in 2009 year. They were hired to protect ships from pirates, when they were stories from pirate attacks on ships. Approximately at 2011-12 years “Slavic housing” It broke up and there was this so-called “Wagner PMCs”. We know, that in these photos, then a “Slavic housing”, captured a well-known volunteer, militia - Vyacheslav Korneev, his call “wood goblin”, about which we have heard and Syria, and Donbas. He was captured in photographs this “Slavic housing” from 2013 year in Syria. And he also has a video profile of Syria has 2013 of the year. That is, we believe, that the PMC, which at first was “Slavic housing”, and then “Wagner PMCs”, in one way or another participated in the fighting in Syria, at least since the autumn 2013 of the year.
- What are the main differences between Russian private military companies, one side, from the regular army, On the other hand - from the usual chop?
- In Russia there is no legislative basis for the existence of private military companies. It is not possible existence of civil society organizations, that they have at the same time such weapons, like sniper rifles, mortars, grenades, etc.. Even private security firms we do not have the right to possess such weapons. And it has given PMC. We know, that their training ground is located in Molkino, in Krasnodar region, directly next to the base of the 10th Brigade of the GRU Spetsnaz. We suppose, that they are trained to immediately Main Intelligence Directorate. And their existence at the same time is at a top-secret level, semi-official, ie there is no, apparently, any documents, that such a man is in the PMC, he was sent to Syria. We believe, what, likely, Now these mercenaries, entering the PMC, agree to the terms, that they are not formally there will be no in Syria, or anywhere else, and de jure they are nowhere. And in the case of, if they die, they are left to themselves, their relatives, that is no help from the authorities will not.
- Is it possible in this case to assume, the main source of funding for this equipment, and PMC - it is the Ministry of Defense of Russia?
- Yes, certainly. We still believe. Because, At first, their training ground in direct contact with the ground of the 10th Brigade of the GRU Spetsnaz. If their existence would be illegal, if it was not approved by the Russian authorities, it would be impossible - that they are in the neighborhood of such an elite part of the GRU Spetsnaz. Plus, those pictures of dead mercenaries, who published the militants IG, - they can be seen weapons, which is only at the elite units of Spetsnaz GRU. for example, mine-grenade, “liner”, that was in the uniform of one of the slain. We also see the photos, who publish Vyacheslav Korneev and others, that they are delivered to Syria forces of the Defense Ministry. They are photographed against the backdrop of the Ministry of Defense helicopters, Defense aircraft. There is a clear help in transportation, and armed by the Russian authorities and the Ministry of Defense.
- How raznoshersten personnel of private military companies? Limited to whether participation in these age, nationality or some other parameters?
- Of those people, whom we have seen, are either exactly involved in the PMC, or in respect of which there is a reasonable suspicion, - it's all people have a great experience, usually, them more 30 years, They have already served and military service, and service contract. There are quite elderly, as the same Sergey Chupov, which was 51 year. I.e, usually, this is not some volunteers, we met in the Donbas, former miners or any Car, and indeed people with combat experience, served in a well-trained military units.
– Can I at least roughly estimate the number of PMCs losses, we are talking about, in Syria, let us say, for the last year?
- The People, we spoke to, that claim, that are familiar to people from the PMC, they say, that during the period of official Russian involvement in the Syrian operations were dozens dead. But we have confirmation of such magnitude could not find. Usually, even people, who are fighting to PMC, still after their death appear mourners positions of their relatives, friends, as it was for Sergei Chupova. However, such communications shaft with sorrow, which would correspond to dozens of victims, we did not notice. Therefore, only on the level of rumors, According to unconfirmed information, their losses are dozens of people, - He speaks Ruslan Leviev.
According to the online edition “Fontanka”, just fighting about a hundred Russian soldiers took part in Syria “Wagner PMCs”. Their goal was - to go “first wave”, direct artillery.
“Us cheerfully goes Syrian special forces, followed “News-24″ together with ORT with cameras at the ready are going to interview them”, - he said “Fontanka” an unnamed fighter “Wagner PMCs”. Internet publication claims, that died in Syria about 60 fighters of the unit. celebrated, that prior to the operation in Syria, fighters of the same private military company fought on the side of the separatists in eastern Ukraine. According to “Fontanki.ru”, one of the proofs of the existence of “Wagner PMCs” It is, that its soldiers are fighting awards and awards of the decrees President of Russia Vladimir Putin.
updated “Wagner division”, argues “Fontanka”, It was created a few years after the collapse of the “Slavic housing”, at 2014 year. Total PMC has at least 600 people - without attendants. Denis Korotkov, journalist site “to Fontanka.ru”:
- You are very confident call the names of those, who hold leadership positions in the so-called battalion, or PMCs. Where did you get the information?
- The information I have from the words of my many interlocutors, whose names I can not reveal, but I am confident in their knowledge. In many cases, I'm sure, that this is a very worthy people honor, who do not allow themselves to give me unverified information. These are numerous cross-sources, hence the name “Wagner”, Dmitri Utkin we allowed ourselves to be called directly and openly. Although the name has been more than six months ago, we know, in previous articles, we told his biography, but did not call, but in January-February, he has already got into the public space, that's why we have disclosed his identity.
- On what basis are gaining people “Wagner PMCs”, who is going to serve?
- This is a very different people. Basically, conditions are quite simple: this man from 25 to 45 years, without a conviction, fit for health reasons, who can perform simple norms on physical preparation. Suitable military specialties will be an advantage. First of all, it, of course, former military, former members of the police, security agencies, that is, those, who has been properly trained. Lately there is a lot more people, As I said, quite unprepared, which simply seems very nice wage 240 thousand rubles a month for a fighter in a war zone.
There is underclass and personality. But, it seems to me, the basic structure - it is absolutely normal people, including representatives of the middle class, who for some reason or do not find yourself in this life, or could not find work, enabling them to provide for themselves and family. Well, and a certain percentage, of course, there are people of war, which just like the kind of life, who consider it their vocation, their profession.
- What are the functions of the armed groups in Syria? Who and how can coordinate the fighting between the battalion and the Syrian government army, army of Bashar al-Assad?
- Function is very unclear. Assuming, how the training camp in Russia, it is basically the method of preparation of the Special Forces. That is a work of intelligence, the work of subversive groups and things like that. If you believe the information, which comes after the first or second-hand from Syria, it is often enough group Wagner used as elite infantry, which implies, of course, big enough, incommensurable, so to speak, with the loss of special forces practice, as a result - dissatisfaction with personnel. Who can coordinate, who can command - I do not know.
Maxim KOLGANOV - according to “Fontanki.ru”, killed in Syria fighter “Wagner PMCs”, on the Mediterranean coast in Lattakia
- Heroes of your material complain, in Syria, Yes, and in the east of Ukraine sent into battle as cannon fodder. How can you explain it, despite the fact that money is the formation, these military operations are spent huge?
- I find it difficult to understand the logic of these people. I can only assume. In Syria, it turns out “hodgepodge”. As they say Russian officials, there present, our military advisers, as well as parts of military special purpose. ibid, obviously, present our artillery and aviation. There are also quite disparate forces, which are subject to Bashar Assad. There is presence of people from “Wagner PMCs”. Whatever worked aircraft and artillery, anyway, until somewhere enters infantry, victory will not. it is an axiom. And here it is included somewhere, win directly locality, settlements, no one wants. Because the quality of the Arab infantry estimated very low. Throw back part of the armed forces is fraught with great loss of reputation. Therefore, to move the, of whom will be less likely to cry. It is my guess.
- Do you have data on the losses of the unit in Syria, for all the fighting it? How and where you collected this data?
- As soon as a reservation, All these figures are only estimates, from my point of view, from conversations with soldiers. None of the commanders did not deign to go out with me to communicate and report on casualties, a fighter can not see the whole picture. Besides, his attention is not always possible to confirm, because it is very often do not know even the names of those, with whom he fought alongside. But this is my personal, highly inaccurate estimate. I think, there dead today at least 200 human. We emphasize once more, this is my personal assessment, which does not claim to accuracy and impartiality.
- Another very important point in your investigation. As it turns out, In your, that fighters forming mercenaries receive state military awards?
- I'm not sure, that word applies here “mercenary” - in the sense, in which it is described in the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. As for, they receive military awards, I wrote: from my point of view, officially this is not possible. They receive awards, information again come from various sources and partly confirmed by documents, but there is an instruction - the procedure for state awards of the Russian Federation, approved by the President of Russia. In accordance with the usual procedure for state awards, receive state awards like fighter units, in force in the territory of another State, I is not possible!
- Here's an example: scout-illegal, acting for a long time on the territory of a foreign state, then he returned to his homeland and secretly from all, know about it only be awarded himself, receives high state award.
- No problem. Scout-illegal immigrant is a staff member of one of the intelligence agencies of the Russian Federation, or to cooperate with the body of a Russian citizen or foreign citizen. Relevant government authorities, eg, Foreign Intelligence Service, The Federal Security Service and the General Intelligence Ministry of Defense Management, form a package of documents, presentation with a description of the feat, and closed by decree the person awarded body. How can the human reward, who fights in a non-existent organization, I do not know.
- Another point. What was the role of the battalions in the Crimea? After all, it turned out, that the notorious “green men” - a regular Russian military units.
- If you look at the history of documentary footage of the Crimean, you will see there are very, very many different people. You will see the, who were called soldiers of the Russian army, and really, as it appears, these were contractors of the elite units of the Russian Armed Forces. You will see there is much more than adults in some strange form, very reminiscent of a rather serious riot, you will see there is quite obscure people in rainbow camouflage and civilian clothes. There, looks like, there were all sorts of people from different organizations, including, according to my data, and people from the group Wagner. What people, that is, all the posters, – “polite people”, with cat and dogs, of course, is not it.
- You admit the thought, that there were other units besides Wagner? May be, we are talking about some private Russian army, which operates in Syria, Ukraine and somewhere else? Just as long as we do not know, but still emerge and people, and even entire units - it is theoretically possible?
- Theoretically it is possible anything, but in practice it is highly unlikely. Because if in Wagner's group for all time of its existence could go a little longer 2 thousands of people, nationwide drop in the ocean. And what about her leaked. Hide something more ambitious and active, I think, unreal. Actually, at “NPT” and “LNR”, so to speak, knowledgeable people imagine, which units there are. And these unidentified forces, “flying Dutchmen” there have been reported. Although I can not exclude, but information about it I do not have.
- Could such a unit be “amateur” some Russian commanders Defense, heads of law enforcement agencies? Or it can exist in modern Russia only with the knowledge of senior management of the state?
- I'm not too well versed in the higher spheres of the Kremlin and the Defense Ministry, to judge whether, who and what rights and opportunities there has. I really do not know, not that I do not want, but I can not answer this question, - says the publication journalist “to Fontanka.ru” Denis Korotkov.
A source: http://www.svoboda.org/content/article/27642396.html